Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Sugar and Spice Make All Things NICE!



While recently shopping at HEB, I noticed that Immaculate had released a Limited Edition Gingerbread Spice cookie.  I was a little hesitant to buy them since they contain eggs (my youngest is allergic to eggs).  Nervously, I decided to buy them for my oldest child to try.  Before sampling the cookies, I contacted Immaculate Baking Company to inquire about their manufacturing processes, cross-contamination, labeling, etc. since it was a new product for us.  When I called, I was politely greeted by a company representative named Jada.  I asked Jada many questions and she was very knowledgable in her answers.  Jada stated that "the Immaculate Baking Company takes food allergies very seriously and lists the top 8 allergens in addition to sesame, sunflower and mollusks".  Venture over to the Immaculate Baking Co. website (www.immaculatebaking.com) , where each product they sell has an ingredient and nutrition facts information sheet.

Since listing 'May Contain' is optional for companies, I wanted to confirm that the spice cookies were not potentially cross-contaminated with tree nuts or peanuts.  When inquiring about the specific product, two pieces of information were needed:  the series number (10 digit number) and the barcode.  This enabled the representative to accurately identify the product and see a photo of the actual product label.  Jada explained that if there is any chance of cross-contamination of a product with any of the top 8 allergens (plus sesame, sunflower and mollusks), then the product will have a 'May Contain' advisory statement.

10 digit series number (beginning with 3)

barcode

Immaculate's Gingerbread Spice cookies were a huge hit!  They were spicy, delicious and a perfect pairing for my cup of coffee and my son's breakfast:).  The bigger hit was finding a company that cares about its' consumers.

Happy Thanksgiving!  



No comments:

Post a Comment